Secure Gun Storage is a School Safety Issue
School leaders recognize that they have a role in spreading the word about secure gun storage. Be SMART has worked with schools from all across the country, helping to raise awareness around secure gun storage. Whether schools are sharing the Be SMART message through individual efforts or passing school safety resolutions through their PTA, Be SMART has inspired millions to get involved in what has become a national dialogue around gun safety.
There are a variety of ways to make sure that parents, caregivers and all adults in your school community receive important and potentially life-saving information about secure firearm storage. Here’s how to get the message out in your schools:
Schedule a Be SMART Presentation
Help your school community learn what it means to Be SMART. To schedule a presentation for your PTA, school board, or other school-based organization, text SMART to 64433.
Pass a Resolution to Have Your School Distribute Information on Secure Storage
Join the growing number of schools around the country that have passed resolutions requiring that all student households receive information about secure storage. As a result of these efforts, more than 8.6 million students nationwide attend schools with secure firearm storage policies.
This toolkit provides all the information and resources you need to encourage your school to pass a secure storage resolution.
Some examples of the dozens of districts that have committed to sending home information annually on the critical importance of secure storage include:
- Anchorage School District (AK)
- Little Rock School District (AR)
- Phoenix Union High School District (AZ)
- Los Angeles Unified School District (CA)
- San Diego Unified School District (CA)
- Duval County School District (FL)
- Alachua County School District (FL)
- Iowa City Community School District (IA)
- Geneva Community Unit School District Number 304 (IL)
- Plymouth Public Schools (MA)
- Bloomfield Hills School District (MI)
- Rochester Public Schools (MN)
- North Kansas City School District (MO)
- Albuquerque Public Schools (NM)
- Clark County School District (NV)
- Cincinnati Public Schools (OH)
- Lake Oswego School Board (OR)
- Erie School District (PA)
- Houston Independent School District (TX)
- Frisco Independent School District (TX)
- Richland School District (SC)
- Fairfax County School District (VA)
- Essex Westford School District (VT)
School Safety with our Partner, National PTA
National PTA has been an essential partner in helping to spread the Be SMART message. Shortly after the program launched in 2015, the organization endorsed Be SMART and it has consistently amplified information about secure firearm storage and shared secure firearm resources with its membership.
Be SMART Handouts
Download Be SMART handouts about safe storage practices and types of safe storage. All handouts are designed to be printed on 8.5 x 11 inch paper.
Share the following graphics on Facebook and Twitter, or download for Instagram.