In Your Community
Keeping Kids Safe is a Community Effort
Community leaders, parents, teachers, police chiefs, doctors, and nurses have come together across the nation to be a part of the Be SMART message.
Engage Healthcare Professionals
Healthcare professionals are all too aware about the dangers that unsecured firearms pose to children and the community. Major hospitals, healthcare systems, and national organizations like Injury Free Coalition for Kids, Safe Kids Worldwide, and the American Academy of Pediatrics have played an important role in helping to share the Be SMART message. Here are just a few examples of how the medical community has helped to raise awareness about Be SMART and the importance of secure gun storage:
- The Tennessee Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics has committed to distributing co-branded Be SMART materials to all of the pediatricians across the state for use in their offices.
- In Oregon, Randall’s Children Hospital at Legacy Emanuel in Portland and Mosaic Medical in Bend put Be SMART posters in their exam rooms and distributed Be SMART cards.
- In Illinois, Vernon Hills and Buffalo Grove volunteers presented to 19 pediatric practices across the Chicagoland area that fall under the PediaTrust practice organization. Information about the presentation can be viewed on their facebook page.
- Texas Children’s Pediatrics, which has over 50 locations throughout the greater Houston area, included the Be SMART message on the visit summary that all patients receive after an appointment.
- In New York, The GetWell Network Clinics (which are part of Children’s Hospital at Montefiore) has used our video to get the message out to patients about secure storage.
- Erie County Department of Health has co-branded Be SMART posters and worked to distribute them in public spaces including libraries.
Connect with Law Enforcement
Law enforcement officers and agencies are helping to talk to communities about secure gun storage. Be SMART has partnered with law enforcement across the country in an effort to help raise awareness around gun safety. Police officers care about the safety of their community, and they have taken powerful measures to show their commitment to secure gun storage. Some examples include:
- In Bexar County, Texas, city officials invested $40,000 into a public awareness campaign about responsible gun storage.
- The Chief of Police of the Cedar Hill Police Department in Texas created a gun safety video.
- In Illinois, St. Charles District 303 partnered with the St. Charles Police, along with Be SMART volunteers, to host a bi-lingual Be SMART presentation. To view the presentations, visit d303.org/safety-security
- Duluth Law Enforcement in Minnesota partnered with Be SMART to hand out free gun locks to their local community.
- Also, in Minnesota, the Woodbury Police Department handed out Be SMART materials to all new gun permit applicants.
- The Marion County Sheriff’s Office collaborated with the Indianapolis Public Library, and Be SMART volunteers, to deliver gun locks and distribute Be SMART information.
- In Oklahoma, the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training have used Be SMART resources in their officer training program.
- Police departments in Indiana, Florida, New Jersey, Ohio, Philadelphia, and Washington have helped to distribute Be SMART materials throughout their local communities.
Other law enforcement agencies that are helping to share the Be SMART message include:
Tampa Police Department, Florida
Saint Charles Police Department, Illinois
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, Nevada
Ewing Police Department, New Jersey
Hoboken Police Department, New Jersey
Montclair (Essex County) Police Department, New Jersey
West Windsor Police Department, New Jersey
Kent Police Department, Ohio
City of Lakewood Police Department, Ohio
Philadelphia Police Department, Pennsylvania
Town of Gaston Police Department, South Carolina
City of Sumter Police Department, South Carolina
Town of Swansea Police Department, South Carolina
Cedar Hill Police Department, Texas
Talk to Schools
Secure gun storage is a school safety issue. That’s why school boards, school districts, and others in the education community have become vital partners in promoting the importance of secure gun storage. Learn more about the important work that Be SMART volunteers and education partners are doing in schools.
To schedule a Be SMART presentation in your school, text SMART to 64433.
Be SMART Handouts
Download Be SMART handouts about safe storage practices and types of safe storage. All handouts are designed to be printed on 8.5 x 11 inch paper.
Share the following graphics on Facebook and Twitter, or download for Instagram.